Sunday, October 12, 2008

Days Not Made for Basements

A short while ago, as I entered a virtually empty library on the Sunday morning of Fall Break, I had what I can describe only as an existential moment. "Why am I here?" I asked a lonely fellow law student, who was sitting at the reference desk. "Why am I here?" she replied.

The short answer, of course, is that I need to do work for my journal, work that will take several days to complete, as a Wednesday deadline looms. The long answer can be found in my last post, in which I described why I came to law school in the first place.

Yet these answers do little to obscure the beautiful Virginia sunshine that streams through the window near my desk in the lowest floor of the Law Library. I am here because I want to be, buried in books and papers and legal research. But I would very much like to be outside, enjoying another amazing fall day.

No comments: