Thursday, February 28, 2008

On the road again

Tomorrow begins spring break and for 21 of us, the long journey to New Orleans. The majority of those on the trip will be working at the N.O. City Attorney's Office, with the remainder at the Center for Racial Justice, the American Red Cross and Desire Street Ministries, which is where I'll be. I'm told it's possible that the three of us working for Desire St. will be working on a house in the lower Ninth Ward, which is about the equivalent of Ground Zero in New Orleans.

I don't know that any of us are prepared for this journey, as we've all been extremely busy with second semester work. Regardless, we'll be jumping into two 12-passenger vans tomorrow at 5 p.m., and driving straight through to our destination, a bed & breakfast called Creole Gardens.

The summer job hunt continues. Many have found work already, and on-campus interviews are a regular occurrence. It's possible that I will have a job tomorrow, or next week, or when I return. I'm not worried.

Shortly after my last post, two weeks ago, my computer crashed, which put a dent in my February blogging. Fortunately I backed up my data the day before the crash. Chalk that one up to having experienced a crash and losing everything at the West Branch Times. Never again, I said. So, my debt load is a little larger now, but I'm loving my new MacBook. The way I see it, I'm doing my part to help the economy.

Alright, off to one final pre-trip meeting, then it's time to pack. Bon voyage.

1 comment:

chris wilke said...

Awesome roomie! I hope you have worthwhile and rewarding experiences in New Orleans.