Monday, January 7, 2008

From the Berg to the Burg

A departure from snowy, cold Guttenberg, Iowa has placed me in balmy Williamsburg, where it is 70 degrees and sunny. Walkers and joggers abound, and I returned to the first day of class this morning in a short-sleeved t-shirt; others are comfortably wearing shorts. It hardly feels like any January I've ever known.

After a wonderful break, I suddenly feel 5,000 miles from home, rather than 1,000. Notwithstanding the sunshine, summer feels like a very long time from now.

I have forgotten the combination to my locker at the law school. I don't think that anything of importance is inside, however, it does make for an amusing, annoying problem in my first week back.

So much to do. Next week Moot Court tryouts begin. At William & Mary we have both Trial Team and Moot Court. Trial Team involves arguing the defense and prosecution of a simulated case as if you were a trial attorney. Moot Court involves oral appellate arguments, and deals with constitutional questions. I did not try out for Trial Team, which took place in the fall. However, I do plan to try out for Moot Court, as I came to law school primarily because of my interest in Constitutional Law. Preparation consists of reading about 10 cases and assembling an oral argument. I will argue in front of a group of "judges" — 2nd- and 3rd-year law students already on the Moot Court team. There are typically three rounds, and not a whole lot of people make it. I'm hoping to, of course, but just preparing and giving the argument will be a learning experience in itself.

Once again, after attending all my classes, I am reminded why I am here. While I liked, for the most part anyway, all of last semester's professors, it's refreshing to have three new ones this semester. All three are very different from last semester and from each other. This semester will be another good one.

Afternoon update: After a stronger dose of coffee, I remembered my locker combination. Things are looking up for the rest of the week!

No comments: