Saturday, December 15, 2007

Getting testy around here

Two down, one to go. We can't really discuss final exams and as I've quickly learned, it's better that way. There's enough stress circulating here already. At the same time that we're taking our first law school finals, deadlines are approaching for summer jobs and Moot Court tryouts are just on the other side of break. And of course, most everyone I've talked to is very excited for break. That Civil Procedure final can't get here soon enough. In the meantime, a lot of people (including me) don headphones each and every time we enter the law school, hoping not to catch that inexorable panic that seems to radiate from the back of the first floor of the library, spreading to every corner where it will be heard.

"Is that really your outline? Really? That's it?"
"I probably should have done the reading."
"I don't know anything about civil procedure."
"Honestly, your first semester 1L grades are the only ones that matter for getting a job."
"The good firms couldn't care less about people with straight B's."
"Oh, you're just doing public interest law. Well, I guess your grades don't matter then."

I wish I were making this stuff up. I can't imagine what it must be like at more competitive law schools. For all the stress that emanates here, it must be nothing compared to a place like Georgetown or Harvard.

Anyway, I'm happy to be done with two finals. Oh, and a fun note about Wednesday: after finishing Civil Procedure, I'll drive straight to the Surgery Center, where I'll finally get the screw out of my knee. It's a fitting bookend for my first semester, which began at the same Surgery Center, where the screw was installed. On this trip to Iowa, there will be no trips to the Field of Dreams.

No comments: