Wednesday, September 19, 2007

My first client interview

OK, so it wasn't a real client but still the first one I've interviewed at law school. Yesterday I interviewed Client A for Legal Skills. The other interviewer and I had to wear suits and the whole bit. The whole thing took about 40 minutes. We immediately got feedback afterwards. For next time, I need to remember not to use a clicky pen, as I tend to click it without even thinking. Also, I need to remind the client of attorney-client confidentiality earlier in the interview. Other than that, we did alright.

My leg has made great strides this week (as always, pun intended). I'm down to one crutch and should be rid of it in the next few days. I go back to physical therapy on Tuesday to work on strength and balance. I could use some of both. I'm getting around much better but walking on my own will take some getting used to. 

I wrote two stories for the upcoming Advocate. There's a 2L here that is almost universally disliked and it seems he's in line to be editor-in-chief next year unless someone else steps up. Several people have encouraged me to do just that. There's not much precedent for a 2L editor but the people who talk to me don't seem to mind. I haven't really met the rest of the Advocate staff yet. If I like most of them, I might give it a shot.

I had another interview this week, this time for Honor Council. William & Mary has an Honor Code, which we didn't really have at Cornell. It's pretty simple — don't lie, cheat or steal. People feel comfortable leaving just about anything in the lounge or library, knowing that when they return 5 minutes or an hour later, it will still be there. A violation of the Honor Code can get you expelled, so people take it very seriously. Anyway, the Honor Council is there to investigate possible violations of the Code, and to let people know what the Code is. Of course, law students are eager to volunteer for leadership positions — I was one of 43 1Ls who interviewed for five Honor Council spots. I'm not holding my breath.

Monday night I got my first chance to see our chancellor, Sandra Day O'Connor, in action. She was one of three panel members at a forum on Democracy, which was moderated by Jim Lehrer of PBS. It was part of the celebration of the 400th anniversary of Jamestown. Anyway, at 77 years old, she's still on top of her game. I heard that she only retired from the Supreme Court because her husband is ill. She was a lot of fun to see in person. She'll be back several times this year, including to give the keynote at law school commencement.

No comments: